Monday, April 18, 2011

Carrot Cake

I had a piece of really good carrot cake while on vacation and had to come home and bake one. Could I find a decent recipe in the 30+ cookbooks I had? Of-course not! One had babyfood carrots in it, which I'm sure might be good but I wanted real pieces of carrot in this cake. Did I want to go down to my office and search the web - no, I wanted my cake NOW!!So, I took three recipes (one was actually an apple cake recipe) and combined them. Yum-yum - it was so good I have to include it for you here:
2 C flour
1.5 C brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
2 t baking powder
3 eggs
2 C carrot/zucchini, grated
3/4 C oil
1/2 C buttermilk

Sift dry ingredients together. Beat eggs with sugar, then add oil and buttermilk. Add Dry ingredients to wet and mix thoroughly. Pour into 2 greased round cake pans or one 8 x 10. Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes. Use toothpick to check for done-ness. Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting - a little cream cheese, a little sugar (or your homemade Maple syrup)
and a little vanilla. This cake was good for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Carrot cake is one of the best. I will have to try this soon!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete