Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lovely and Fun Lace


I love everything about lace.  It is so dainty and feminine.  I am fascinated with how each tool you use creates its own unique stitches.  Crocheted lace is much different than the airy knitted lace which is similar in openness to bobbin lace but still quite difference.  Tatted lace produces it's own unique stitch, density, flavor, etc. 

Of course I've had to try them all over the years.  I still don't have a favorite but enjoy the diversity of it all.

This is my lace basket.  I don't get to it much but it inspires me every time I pass by it.

It's good to try using different threads but I usually go back to the standard white or ivory as my favorite. 

The round bag in the middle, that is crocheted. I found it at an antique sale.  Women used these to hold their ball of thread while they crocheted, tatted, etc.  They would hang it around their wrist and perhaps walk through the lovely gardens while making their lace edgings. 

Far left is an orange plastic tatting shuttle.  I prefer the heavier silver plated ones. As far as needle tatting, that's a choice we have to each make but I like the movement of the shuttle passing back and forth through my hands. 

The ivory/light green lace is bobbin lace made.  Now that takes a lot of concentration and after about 3 years I'm still working on the same pattern.  Need to spend more time with it but my life is anything but the quiet needed to pursue this technique!

There is some multi colored tatted lace here.  That was fun for a change.

The bright white piece is crocheted with bobbles.  I just love bobbles.  They are so fun.

I'm planning on making a lace sampler book. Seems all I ever get done are samples!!!  When I do get some yardage I use snippets of it here and there are miscellaneous projects like doll clothes.

Hope you enjoyed.  Have a great lace making day...I'm off to another fiber day with friends!






1 comment:

  1. I am lucky enough to have my great-grandma's tatting/crocheting collection. I want to learn to tat as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful basket!!

    ReplyDelete