Saturday, March 26, 2011

After the Birthday...

 These are Dave's Birthday Pineapple Upside Down Muffins.  I usually make this a cake in a cast iron skillet but I couldn't resist buying this mold this year.  We'll have to make this more than once a year now.  They were excellent if I may say so myself.  Just the right proportion of top to sides!  It didn't brown as nicely as when baked in a skillet but they were as delicious if not better!  See previous posts for the recipe.

It was a great birthday.  We celebrate over a weeks time and I think I managed to keep the surprises coming quite nicely!!!!





Soap holder
 This is the next project at hand.  A crocheted soap holder for all three outdoor faucets at the Stillman Inn.  Complete with flower top!  I think I will regre not using a more open weave pattern as I know how soapy these things can get but at least I made an effort in the direction I intended to take for the summer!

I just used some yarn laying around, picked out a pattern from a crochet/knit pattern book and crossed my fingers.  I used my left over melt and pour soap bars from the craft show we attended.  I actually used the ones that didn't turn out so pretty - who knows!

I must say people treat "melt and pour" soaps as if they are somehow inferior to the traditional lye soaps.  I find these soaps light and refreshing, not overpowering...so there!

'The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches' by Readers Digest...you'll love it!

Ever check out the website for "Tasha Tudor"?  I believe her farm is in Vermont and I recently discovered they give tours of her gardens.  Boy, would I just love to do that.  It is 3 hours away from Hull so I'll have to put my brain together and get us there with Dave's brother and his charming wife!

I've been catching up with my podcasts from "Knitting Misadventures".  Elise just started another podcast called "The Balcony Farm". It is amazing what she grows on a very small patio.  She gives lots of good advice so you don't want to miss it.  She also has a website for each of these venues.

Another cool thing for the Ipad:  I downloaded an app called "Flower Garden".  You can grow flowers, water and feed them, make them into bouquets and email them to your friends.  I love this.  It reminds me to water my seedlings and helps me to keep in touch with friends and family by sending them a bouquet once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment