Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gardening 2011

 Come on, just warm up!  That's all I'm thinkin these days when I'm walking around the gardens.  Just itching to get started, even if it's just clean up! 

This year I took a look at Mel Barthomolmew's book 'All New Square Foot Gardening'.  I remember my uncle, some twenty years ago, must have used this system because he had a garden that looked just like this.  And he lived in Chicago.  He had the best tomatoes I have ever seen.  Love the suggestions in this book, less is more, close to the kitchen door, great idea for a growing mix...I'm so psyched about it.

So...I've started some seeds inside.  This usually doesn't work for me.  Last year was the best yet but I set them on the floor by the atrium door for more sunlight.  Next morning I discovered my tortoise, Nelson, who was allowed to roam the house freely, made a delightful dinner out of my efforts.  You couldn't keep him off the top of the seedlings.  Oh well.

One of Mel's suggestion was "don't go full out the first year".  Good advice as I usually have to go full out.

I'm going to start with 2 or 3 4x4' boxes.  I will call it my Kitchen Garden and take our guests on tours of it!  Sharing the harvest of course. But if I do it right, there won't be bushels full of extras.

Is there anything as lovely as a rain sprinkled Iris?  I mean next to my granddaughter of course!

I think I better start exercising so I can keep up with my dreams this summer!


Due to economic conditions last year I had to limit the number of containers I planted, but the ones I had were so beautiful.  I used containers by our private quarters for herbs and such.  I planted mint once and learned the consequences of that.  it went everywhere! 


And forget-we-not about planting for Fall! 

Milwaukee has a great Botanical Garden.  Perfect size, beautiful architecture and of course plants.  Last year it was perfect because inside they had a quilt display!!!!!

Let's see, we'll need sunflowers, Canna Lilies, check on the blueberry bush I planted last year, find a way to remember what I put where.....oh yes, and sit back and enjoy them with a nice refreshing cup of iced tea (note to self, plant mint for tea)! 







No comments:

Post a Comment