Thursday, June 23, 2011

Todays Jam

I found a recipe for Peach Lavender Jam.  Since I'm into Lavender right now I thought this would be perfect AND the peaches looked great.


I had a few problems so if you have any ideas please share!


The recipe came from "The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving" by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard..  In a canning magazine I have it suggested boiling the peaches until the skin broke (approx 30-60 seconds).  I boiled for several minutes and the skin never "broke".  Then I was to dump them in a bowl of ice water for 1-2 minutes.  The did not peel easily at all.  I know I tried this once before and it worked, don't know what went wrong this time.





Peach Lavender Jam
2 tbsp dried lavender flowers
1/2 cup boiling water
4 cups finely chopped peaches (5-6 medium)
2 tbsp lemon juice
6 cups granulated sugar
1 pouch liquid fruit pectin

Place Lavender flowers in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over flowers and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and discard flowers.  (Later I added Lavender extract)

Combine lavender liquid, peaches, lemon juice and sugar in a very large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat and boil hard for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in pectin. (I did this and it never thickened. I re/boiled the finished jam the next day until it geled so the liquid pectin was in it while I boiled this time)

Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes.

Makes 6 cups

So, it sounded easy but as you see in the red it didn't work for me until I reboiled the fruit with the pectin in it. 

Now it looks and acts like it should!!!!:)

Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment