Sunday, May 29, 2011

Strawberry Anyone?!

Okay, a hit of cognac to chase away the doubt and a big attempt to finally, actually "can" something! The Strawberries were big and beautiful at Hyvee (my favorite grocery store) and I couldn't resist. I've had all of the supplies needed for canning for several years now and most importantly the book by Better Homes and Gardens 'You Can Can'. I just love that name! But of course I first consulted Youtube and searched "canning strawberries". How did I ever survive without Youtube? It really helps me to watch someone doing something to learn.

My first canning experiment created 3 - 1/2 pints which really got me going. I followed the no sugar recipe on Youtube.

That's it, I got the bug and I was so proud! Back to the store for more strawberries. This time I used the pectin, sugar, etc. It produced 8 - 1/2 pints of terrific jam (I HAD to use the 1/2 pint jars cause they are just too cute. Leftovers were used to make a strawberry pie for the guests! With a sprig of mint from my garden!!!

Last weekend the guests enjoyed gourmet Chocolate Chip cookies with a soft frosting - Ghiradelli chocolates only! Oh my word. Recipe from Martha Stewart's book 'Cupcakes'. Not sorry I bought that one! And the guests are in for a real treat this season!

Yes, Jeff, I am baking for the guests.







Farmer Girlfriends - last fiber day I mentioned how "muddy" my beautiful roving turned out to be after spinning.  This is what I was talking about. 

The roving is absolutely breathtaking but when I spun and plied it it looks a little mucky, but somehow better in this photo.  Sherryl had some multi colored roving which spun up very clear and beautiful.  Maybe this had too much brown in it?  Lesson learned:  Not sure...maybe let Sherryl pick my roving from now on!  What fun!


















1 comment:

  1. Delicious strawberry jam! I Used it today - mixed it with some cut up strawberries and blueberries. It was so good, I almost could not stop eating!

    Bernadine's yarn is pretty and not really "muddy". It has a golden cast to it that may look really nice when it is knit into something - just like Fall colors. My spun yarn was from roving that had stark white sections in it - I think that is why it came out having more delineated coloring. I have tried downloading pix to the site and have not been successful so maybe I'll try to get B to download for me:-)

    ReplyDelete