Saturday, February 5, 2011

Basil Pesto


This is our private kitchen at the Inn.  Also, I'm wearing
my first home spun and knitted Alpaca skirt from
local Alpacas.  Seems like everyone in Galena
has Alpacas these days!
 Speaking of Parsley, I have also had great success, outdoors, with Basil.  I haven't tried growing it indoors but it seems this plant likes a lot of sunshine and my windows only get late afternoon sun.

All summer I can clip away at my wonderful potted specimen and use it fresh to make many things but most of all Basil Pesto.  Here's the recipe I use most often but I usually end up adding all kinds of strange things in pinches and dashes.

Basil Pesto
4 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves, halved
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted or not
1/2 cup olive oil (or however much you need to get the consistency you are looking for)

Place the basil, cheese, garlic and salt into a food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add nuts; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a stead steam.

That's it!  In the fall I harvest the rest of the Basil and make one huge batch of Basil Pesto, freeze it in ice cube trays, place about 6 cubes each in a freezer bags and when I need it I just pull it out to thaw...all winter long! 

Ways to use your Pesto
Toss with pasta or roasted vegetables
Spread on toasted baguette slices
Blend with mayo for a sandwich spread
Mix into mashed potatoes, meat loaf, casseroles or salads
Coat your favorite meat or fish with it, dip into bread crumbs and pan fry
Stuff pesto into chicken breasts, steak or burgers

This is a "Guilt Blog". I kept thinking of how I used a BOX MIX to make red velvet cupcakes and thought that's not quite where I wanted to go with the Lost Art of Domesticity.  So, I had to reign myself back in!  No more boxed cake mixes...I promise...except the occasional pineapple upside down cake mix, that is just too wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment