Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Country Fair

 When we moved to Galena 10 years ago I decided to enter things in the County Fair.  It's something I would have probably enjoyed doing as a child...like 4H but it just wasn't meant to be at the time.

I attended a hat making class at a museum in Freeport, IL.  This is where I made my first bonnet. Pre Civil War bonnet and you can tell by how deep the crown is.  You cannot see left or right unless you move your head in that direction.  Modesty was everything!

We used materials from the lady giving the class and buckram.  It is a hard, sand paper like foundation for these hats. I liked this striped fabric because it is satin and has a nice shine.  It was quite fun but my fingers were sore by the end of the day!

On the picture above you can see the little rosette I patterened after a bonnet they were displaying at the museum.

Now comes the interesting part.  I had to choose feathers and a ribbon for my hat.  I was instructed to pick something that purposely didn't match because in those days people used what they had and they did not give a lot of consideration to what went with what.  Same for the feathers.  My instructor was very proud of my creation.  The underside is gathered satin.

I entered this in the County Fair - so proud was I!  You can imagine how I felt when I read the judges comments.  I did win a blue ribbon which was worth $1 but she actually said "You should have used a ribbon and feathers that matched better".  WHAT??????!!!!  That is all I'm going to say because I do not want her job.

We used to dress
up more because this is Galena after all and everyone has a civil war outfit but since I finished this hat we haven't been dressing up so unfortunately I haven't worn it out.  Actually it would be in the wrong period.  In any case, it was fun and the guests enjoy seeing it!

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment