Friday, February 18, 2011

Red Velvet Revisited

You may recall my suggesting earlier that Red Velvet Cake got its original red color from the acid in buttermilk or vinegar reacting with cocoa - not food coloring. I thought for sure I heard that on some food channel. After mixing the two, I found this not to be the case. So, extensive web research lead me to some interesting info. It turns out that the orignal recipe is from the Waldorf-Astoria in New York and was first made in the 1920's. Wow! The orginal or "traditional" recipes have very little food coloring yet make a cake with that rich, burgundy color by using beet puree - yum! We are going to visit my son and his family in Georgia this coming week and I plan to bring the recipes with me to try. I will report back on how that goes! Until then, enjoy the spring thaw if you are in the Midwest

1 comment:

  1. have a great visit! looking fwd to the red velvet pics and post.
    Buttercreambarbie

    ReplyDelete