Saturday, January 1, 2011

In The Beginning - 1/1/11

Live in Galena - Wear period costumes!
Here we go! This is the very first Blog for "The Lost Art of Domesticity".

I don't remember a time that I didn't have a project I was knitting, crocheting, tatting, sewing, painting, rug hooking, beading, and so on. Growing up, my Mom and I always kept our hands busy especially during TV time at night. She loved learning new things and always encouraged me to explore. She was a member of the "Craft of the Month" club for a period of time and I couldn't wait to see what the next box would contain.

I loved watching her work on things like that. I loved that she was home for us. I love how she kept the house clean and our sheets smelling fresh and our clothes clean and neatly tucked away. I loved it when she put an apron on (with our handprints appliqued onto it of course) and made apple struddel. I love how she always made family important as we took time to visit relatives regularly. I love how special she made our Christmas Holidays with all the decorations, painted cookies, singing of the Twelve Days of Christmas and Keeklees. I love how she cared for and used table cloths.


I loved watching her iron and then eat a little salad for lunch. I loved her job. We were all first to her (4 children and a husband), we knew it, we counted on it, and learned much from her unconditional love and strength of character than we will ever realize. It was more than enough for her to be a great wife and mother. And I love that!



Me and My Mom! We made Figgy Pudding first time ever this Christmas!
 So, here I am now, indulging myself in what I love most, Domestic Arts, and sharing it with anyone out there who feels the same way. There is great value in who we are and what we choose to do. And we can share in that!

2 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of my mom, being at home - when I got home from school; warming us up with hot cocoa after being out in the snow; learning to make cookies with her; teaching me to do dishes - all related in some way to domestic arts! I remember her getting ready for a party and slicing thin pieces of cheese by hand - what patience!
    We make a new recipe every year at the holidays - this year it was real Egg Nog. However, we had to substitute Cream Liquer for the Cognac (Cognac is $40.00 per bottle - yikes!)It tasted great anyway! I'm going to have to make Figgy Pudding now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buy the cognac, you'll need it for the Figgy Pudding! (or Brandy)

    We had fun experimenting. Always good when it turns out!

    ReplyDelete